Monday, April 19, 2010

Terrariums


I love the idea of terrariums.  Little mini labs in wonderful glass jars - what's not to love?  As we're four weeks out from moving (eek, gotta pack!!) I think I'll hold out on discovering how I like these tiny gardens in practice (and how much they like me - I don't have the greenest of thumbs).

Window Shopping For Ideas:

Pear shaped ones from VivaTerra.  Not cheap but we're just window shopping.


A more accessible (and cuter!) batch made by blogger Courtney of Two Straight Lines from Target glass jars.  Look close - there's a t-rex in that far right jar!

A whole bunch of apothecary goodness in one picture!  This is from apartment therapy but, unfortunately, the link they give to the how-to is very broken.  Sad.  But pretty picture!

Doing It Yourself:

Planning:
    • Not surprisingly, terrariums.com is a great resource of all things terrarium.
    • And then there's terrarium man - not as much info, more items he's selling, but some great ideas nonetheless.
    • For the plants themselves Glasshouse Works has a great list.  I'd recommend buying local, if possible, but it's great to know your options before hitting the gardening stores.  

    Making:
      • Of course you can always haunt your local second hand and antique stores for great jars.  But also there's:
      • Beakers!  I love American Science and Surplus.  Love, love, love.



        No comments:

        Post a Comment