I love the idea of terrariums. Little mini labs in wonderful glass jars - what's not to love? As we're four weeks out from moving (eek, gotta pack!!) I think I'll hold out on discovering how I like these tiny gardens in practice (and how much they like me - I don't have the greenest of thumbs).
Window Shopping For Ideas:
Doing It Yourself:
- Not surprisingly, terrariums.com is a great resource of all things terrarium.
- And then there's terrarium man - not as much info, more items he's selling, but some great ideas nonetheless.
- For the plants themselves Glasshouse Works has a great list. I'd recommend buying local, if possible, but it's great to know your options before hitting the gardening stores.
- Of course you can always haunt your local second hand and antique stores for great jars. But also there's:
- Beakers! I love American Science and Surplus. Love, love, love.
- Glass storage jar from Ikea. I'd go with the larger 41oz version.
- This comes from an instructable by angryredhead and uses found items and two pieces from Ikea. Gorgeous and affordable!
- And for these hanging beauties we return to instructables, this time with one by florablog.